AFRICAN SPEARFISHING DIARIES - VOLUME 3

AFRICAN SPEARFISHING DIARIES - VOLUME 3
Comming soon...

Barred Rubberlip, world record submit story (As told to Larry Carter)



"In April last year I managed to spear one of my favorite fish…it was a hard kill, and after losing an awesome one earlier that day, I finally managed to land a Barred Rubberlip above the 5 Kg mark that fortunately became the existing IUSA world record tipping the scale at 7,4 Kg…the fish I lost earlier that morning looked awesome, and maybe the biggest I have seen leaving a strong challenge in me…

It’s a hot Monday morning, with a light Southern breeze, meaning good viz, and the chance to try the deeper inner drop off in Danae’s reef…

Laying on the surface I watch the bottom as I load my gun…as usual a lot of life can be seen in this drop, from the healthy population of sharks, present in large numbers, to pelagic as Dogtooth Tuna and Spanish Mackerel, but today due to the lack of current our interest lays in the bottom…

Diving in the Northern part of the drop Emiliano bags a nice River Snapper after quite some hide and seek…the commotion brings some Malabar groupers into the scene, one of which also ended on the boat after a long tussle, to bring her out of a very intricate cave…

…change of area, and we head down to the Southern area…Emiliano goes for the bluewater managing some nice barracudas and a good Spaniard…I decide to check that magical canyon where I had seen that amazing Barred Rubberlip…I descend and stop some 21 meters bellow at the edge of the canyon to check a large dark crevasse…looking inside it seems void, but a strange yellow shape in the middle of the dark calls my attention…I close my eyes for a few seconds to get used to the lack of light and as I open them I cannot believe what I see...

…the movements that followed that moment where somehow instinctive…the gun rotate from under the body aligning the fish with it and pressing the trigger with no further a due…the fish runs to the nearest hole trying desperately to get rid of the spear, I hit for the surface trying hard not to give him any slack…my heart is pounding as I scream for a float and a smaller gun…the boat reaches me, and Francisco delivers me the goods…float clipped to the handle, gun loaded, I try to lower my heart rate, to descend quickly again and I can see Emiliano on the bottom fending off all those sharks around my fish…one fast descend, and after a second assuring shot I bring my trophy with me…

…it’s the one… says Emiliano… it’s the one indeed…

Team work made this trophy possible, without Emiliano’s intervention with the sharks and Francisco’s rapid response on the surface it would surely be lost…thanks guys!!!"

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário