AFRICAN SPEARFISHING DIARIES - VOLUME 3

AFRICAN SPEARFISHING DIARIES - VOLUME 3
Comming soon...

Indian Treadfish, world record submit story (As told to Larry Carter)



"It was a dark Thursday morning when we left Club Naval, heading up North in search of the schools of giant yellowtail barracuda’s that dwell in those scattered reefs among the sand.

The trip was troubled by a ever rising wind, picking up more and more, blowing straight in the bow, making the water dark and murky with all the debris and mud carried from the Incomati river basin into to sea right in our direction.

Arriving at the designated spot the water wasn’t really looking good, but still we decided to give it a try.

As usual, we enter the water together after the boat has past the wreck up current, setting us on the right position for a perfect drift. The first few dives produced some Spanish Mackerel of medium size from the waters surrounding the wreck, one after the other they were taken around mid water…

…the next dives became deeper and some nice sized Golden Trevally end up on board…"

…drifting past the bow of the sunken ship, at mid water looking for the Tassel fish that normally hang in that area I notice a bright grey shape shining a few meters below me…as I turn it bolts away and stops, looks back and regains its pace as before, I keep the pursuit approaching myself gently, the fish keeps moving but doesn’t run, giving me the chance to approach and plant a shot right in front of the gill plate…as I hit the surface and the reel stops, I slowly retrieve it…a few minutes later I have it in my hands.

It has been a while since we last saw one of these, although abundant four years ago and in larger sizes, this specie seemed to disappear from this area all the sudden…

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário